Prepare, Publish, Promote
- Getting Started
Prepare Your Book
Format Your Manuscript
eBook Manuscript Resources
- eBook Manuscript Formatting Guide
- eBook File Formatting Tips
- Supported eBook Formats
- eBook Conversion Formats
- Create a Table of Contents
- Format Images in Your eBook
- Character Encoding
- Create Links to Footnotes
- Reduce Your eBook Manuscript File Size
Paperback Submission Overview
- Paperback Interior Design
- Paperback Manuscript Templates
- Build Your Book - Format a Paperback Manuscript (Word for Windows)
- Build Your Book - Format a Paperback Manuscript (Word for Mac)
- Build Your Book – Format a Paperback Manuscript (Pages for Mac)
- Format Images in Your Paperback
- Paperback Fonts
- Create a Paperback PDF File
- Paperback Submission Guidelines
- Formatting on a Mac
- eBook Manuscript Resources
- Create Your Cover
- Format Your Manuscript
Publish Your Book
Enter Book Details
- Enter eBook Details
- Enter Paperback Details
- eBook Metadata Guidelines
- Paperback Metadata Guidelines
- Supported HTML for Book Description
- Supported Languages
- Publishing Public Domain Content
- Make Your Book More Discoverable with Keywords
- Browse Categories
- Enter Age and Grade Ranges
- Series Bundles
- Upload Content
Set Rights and Pricing
- Enter Pricing Information
- Paperback Pricing
- eBook Distribution Rights
- Paperback Distribution Rights
- Expanded Distribution
- Enter Book Details
Promote Your Book
Kindle Merchandising Programs
- Author Central
- Lending for Kindle
- Buying and Gifting eBooks for Others
- Sample Chapters
- Kindle Countdown Deals
- Kindle Unlimited
- Kindle eBook Pre-Order
- KDP Select
- Free Book Promotions
- Kindle Owners' Lending Library
- Kindle MatchBook
- Advertising for KDP Books
- Merchandising Tips
- Customer Reviews
- Amazon Programs
- Kindle Merchandising Programs
Tools and Resources
- KDP Tools and Resources
- Kindle Create Help Overview
- Kindle Previewer
- Kindle Comic Creator
- Kindle Kids' Book Creator
- Quality Issues Dashboard
- Enhanced Typesetting
- X-Ray for Authors
- Manage Your Books
Sales, Royalties, Taxes
- Sales Reports
- Getting Paid
- Tax Information Requirements
- Tax Forms
- Tax Account Status
- Tax Interview
- Tax Withholding
- Applying for a U.S. TIN (Taxpayer ID Number)
- Tax ID Validation
- Kindle Direct Publishing Terms and Conditions
- Program Policies
Have feedback? Can't find your answer in our Help pages?Contact Us
Publish Your Paperback on KDP
|You can publish paperbacks and eBooks on KDP. Publishing a paperback can help you reach new readers. KDP prints your book on demand and subtracts your printing costs from your royalties. That means you don't have to pay any costs upfront or carry any inventory. You can order proofs and author (wholesale) copies of your paperbacks on KDP. To distribute your paperback through bookstores, online retailers, libraries, and academic institutions, you can also enable Expanded Distribution.||
A guide to publishing on Amazon
Note: Paperback publishing is not yet available for books written in Japanese. KDP publishers can, however, sell paperbacks written in the languages we support on amazon.co.jp.
What are the benefits of publishing paperbacks with KDP?
- Distribution. Reach paperback readers through Amazon websites in the US, Europe, and Japan.
- Royalties. Earn up to 60% royalties on the list price you set, minus printing costs.
- Rights. Maintain creative control and own your copyright with our non-exclusive agreement.
- Get to market fast. Publish your paperback for international sale in just a few days.
- 100% availability. Printing on demand means your book will never be out of stock.
How do I create a paperback of my published eBook?Publishing a paperback of your eBook is easy. Go to your Bookshelf, find your eBook, and click + Create paperback. We'll update your paperback details with the details you provided when you set up your eBook. You can still edit these details. Like for eBooks, you can set separate prices and distribution options for each supported marketplace for your paperback.
If you've already published your title as an eBook, we'll review your paperback manuscript to make sure our customers have a positive reading experience. We'll check image resolution, fonts, margin settings, and readability. We'll also review all new and revised KDP books to make sure they meet to our content guidelines. Learn more about the submission process.
How do I link my eBook with my paperback?Linking these formats in the Amazon catalog provides the ideal browsing experience for customers. If you have an eBook and a paperback of the same title, their detail pages should link automatically if the book details match. Learn more about linking eBooks and paperbacks.
What resources do you have to help with formatting?
|Video: Paperback formatting essentials webinar recording||
- Free tools and resources.
- Do it yourself. See our guides for formatting your manuscript and creating a cover.
- Preview your paperback. Order proof copies before making your book available to customers.
How are royalties calculated?KDP offers a fixed 60% royalty rate on paperbacks sold on Amazon marketplaces where KDP supports paperback distribution. Your royalty is 60% of your list price, minus subtract printing costs. If you enable Expanded Distribution, the royalty is 40% of the book's list price effective in the distribution channel at the time of purchase minus printing costs. Learn more about paperback royalties.
Where can I track my paperback sales?Track sales in your KDP Reports.
- Track royalties earned from paperback sales on your Sales Dashboard
- Download your Sales & Royalty Report for royalty details going back 90 days
- See a summary of your monthly royalties in the Prior Months' Royalties Report
- Track your payments in the Payments report
Learn more about sales reports.
How do I get an ISBN for my paperback?KDP can provide you with a free ISBN to publish your paperback, or you can buy your own from Bowker or through your local ISBN agency. Learn more about ISBNs.
How do I order author copies?You can order author copies of books in "Live" status:
- Go to your Bookshelf and find the paperback you would like to order.
- Click on the Order Author Copies link in the ellipsis ("...") menu.
- Enter the order quantity and select the Amazon marketplace closest to your shipping destination from the drop-down menu.
- Click Proceed to Checkout. You'll be redirected to the Amazon Shopping Cart/Basket of your chosen marketplace to complete your order.