Have feedback? Can't find your answer in our Help pages?
Prepare Your eBook and Paperback with Kindle Create
Haven't downloaded Kindle Create yet?
- Is this feature right for my book?
- Prepare your eBook and paperback
- Frequently asked questions
- I used Kindle Create to prepare my eBook. How do I convert it to a paperback?
- Is the start page number location the same thing as the Start Reading Location for eBooks?
- What size margins will my paperback get? Can I change them?
- Do I have to add a table of contents (TOC) page to get page numbers in my paperback?
- Kindle Create changed the font I chose for my paperback. Can I change it back?
- How can I change font size and line spacing?
- Can I modify my table of contents page in Kindle Create?
- How can I give feedback on Kindle Create?
Is this feature right for my book?This feature is designed for text-heavy books with a simple layouts (e.g., novels, essays, memoirs) that you want to publish in eBook and paperback format. Limitations include:
- Tables, footnotes, endnotes. Kindle Create doesn't support paperbacks with tables, footnotes, or endnotes.
- Images. Sometimes blank spaces are left at the bottom of the page if the image you want to insert doesn't fit on the page. The image moves to the next page. Also, Kindle Create doesn't support paperback images that bleed to the edge of the page.
- Margins and font. You won't be able to customize the margins and font. Margins will be automatically calculated to meet KDP's specifications. Font and font size for paperbacks can't be changed
Prepare your eBook and paperback
Open Kindle Create and import your fileOpen Kindle Create and start a new project by choosing your file. The tool will automatically find and format your chapter titles, which will create a Kindle table of contents. Learn more about creating new projects.
Style your book
Insert table of contents page and page numbering
Customize headers, footers, page numbersBy default, Kindle Create adds the author name to the left-page header and the book title to the right-page header with center alignment. Page numbers are added to the footer with center alignment.
To customize your paperback, click the Print Settings button in the top-right corner of Kindle Create. This opens a window with several options to change the alignment and position of the author name, book title, and page numbers.
Review your file in Kindle Create
Export your file for publishing on KDPWhen you're satisfied with your book, click the Publish button in the upper right-hand corner.
Upload your file to KDP
Preview your book before publication
Frequently asked questions
I used Kindle Create to prepare my eBook. How do I convert it to a paperback?
- Open Kindle Create.
- Open the KCB file you saved after preparing your eBook. Kindle Create will automatically assign a page number start location (the first page of your first chapter) for your paperback.
- If the page number start location is correct, click the Publish button in the upper right-hand corner to create the KPF file you'll upload to KDP to publish your paperback.