Have feedback? Can't find your answer in our Help pages?
Prepare Your eBook and Paperback with Kindle Create
You can use Kindle Create to prepare an eBook and paperback with the same manuscript file. If you prepare your paperback with Kindle Create, you can publish it in any trim size. Kindle Create also takes care of complicated paperback formatting tasks for you. When you upload your file to KDP, margins are automatically calculated, and page numbers are added to your paperback's table of contents page and footers. Your first chapter will start on a right-facing page, with subsequent chapters starting on the next available page.
Haven't downloaded Kindle Create yet?
Haven't downloaded Kindle Create yet?
- Is this feature right for my book?
- How to turn on the feature
- How to prepare your eBook and paperback
- Frequently asked questions
- I used Kindle Create to prepare my eBook. How do I convert it to a paperback?
- Is the start page number location the same thing as the Start Reading Location for eBooks?
- What size margins will my paperback get? Can I change them?
- Do I have to add a table of contents (TOC) page to get page numbers in my paperback?
- Kindle Create changed the font I chose for my paperback. Can I change it back?
- How can I change font size and line spacing?
- Can I modify my table of contents page in Kindle Create?
- How can I give feedback on Kindle Create?
Is this feature right for my book?This feature is designed for text-heavy books with a simple layouts (e.g., novels, essays, memoirs) that you want to publish in eBook and paperback format. Limitations include:
- Tables, footnotes, endnotes. Kindle Create doesn't support paperbacks with tables, footnotes, or endnotes
- Images. Sometimes blank spaces are left at the bottom of the page if the image you want to insert doesn't fit on the page. The image moves to the next page. Also, Kindle Create doesn't support paperback images that bleed to the edge of the page.
- Customization of margins, headers, page numbers, font. You won't be able to customize the margins, headers, page numbers, and font.
- Margins will be automatically calculated to meet KDP's specifications
- Left-page headers will show the author name, right-page headers the book title. The alignment and style of the author name and book title can't be changed.
- Page numbers are automatically added to the footer. They'll start on the first page of your book's first chapter.
- Font and font size for paperbacks can't be changed
How to turn on the featureTo use this feature, open Kindle Create and turn on Early Access:
- Windows. Choose Help > Settings > Early Access
- Mac. Choose Kindle Create > Preferences > Early Access, then check the Enable Beta Features box
How to prepare your eBook and paperback
Open Kindle Create and import your fileOpen Kindle Create and start a new project by choosing your file. The tool will automatically find and format your chapter titles, which will create a Kindle table of contents. Learn more about creating new projects.
Style your book
Insert table of contents page and page numbering
Review your file in Kindle Create
Export your file for publishing on KDPWhen you're satisfied with your book, click the Publish button in the upper right-hand corner.
Upload your file to KDP
Preview your book before publication
Frequently asked questions
I used Kindle Create to prepare my eBook. How do I convert it to a paperback?
- Open Kindle Create
- If you haven't done so already, turn on Early Access to get the Kindle Create paperback feature
- Open the KCB file you saved after preparing your eBook. Kindle Create will automatically assign a page number start location (the first page of your first chapter) for your paperback.
- If the page number start location is correct, click the Publish button in the upper right-hand corner to create the KPF file you'll upload to KDP to publish your paperback