- Sign in to your account and go to your Bookshelf
- Click the ellipsis button ("…") under PAPERBACK ACTIONS next to the book you want to preview
- Select "Edit Paperback Content." This will take you to the Paperback Content page
- Scroll down to the "Book Preview" section
- Click Launch Previewer
Prepare, Publish, Promote
- Before You Start Publishing
Prepare Your Book
- Prepare Your Book
Format Your Manuscript
- eBook Manuscript Resources
- Paperback Manuscript Resources (Beta)
- Format Images in Your eBook
- Format Images in Your Paperback
- Paperback Fonts (Beta)
- Create a Paperback PDF File (Beta)
- Create a Table of Contents
- Formatting on a Mac
- Create Your Cover
Publish Your Book
Enter Book Details
- Enter eBook Details
- Enter Paperback Details (Beta)
- eBook Metadata Guidelines
- Paperback Metadata Guidelines (Beta)
- Supported Languages
- Publishing Public Domain Content
- Make Your Book More Discoverable with Keywords
- Selecting Browse Categories
- Enter Age and Grade Ranges
- Series Titles
- Upload Content
Set Rights and Pricing
- Enter Pricing Information
- Managing the Availability of Your Book
- Paperback Pricing (Beta)
- Paperback Distribution (Beta)
- Enter Book Details
Promote Your Book
- Promote Your Book
Kindle Merchandising Programs
- Lending for Kindle
- Gifting for Kindle
- Sample Chapters
- Kindle Countdown Deals
- Kindle Unlimited
- Kindle eBook Pre-order
- Kindle Indie Bookstore
- KDP Select
- Free Book Promotions
- Kindle Owners' Lending Library
- Kindle MatchBook
- Advertising for KDP eBooks
- Merchandising Tips
- Linking eBook and Paperback Editions
- Customer Reviews
- Amazon Programs
- Tools and Resources
- Getting Started
- Update Published Books
Sales, Royalties, Taxes
- Sales Reports
- Getting Paid
- Tax Information
- Tax Information Requirements
- Tax Account Status
- Tax Interview
- Tax Withholding for U.S. Publishers
- Tax Withholding for Non-U.S. Publishers
- Applying for a U.S. TIN (Taxpayer ID Number)
- Tax ID Validation
Have feedback? Can't find your answer in our Help pages?Contact Us
Online Previewer for Paperbacks (Beta)
To learn how to set your page size based on your trim size, see our Help page.
Note: Your trim size is locked after publishing. If you need to change it, you’ll need to unpublish your paperback from your Bookshelf and then republish it using your new trim size.
Learn more about adding images to paperbacks.
Subtitle, series, edition. The subtitle, series, and edition information do not have to appear on the files. If included, they must match the details you entered during title setup.
ISBN. The ISBN is not required in your manuscript. We'll automatically add the 13-digit ISBN to the barcode on the back cover. If your file does include the ISBN, it should match the information in the setup.
Author or contributors. You don’t have to include author information on the files. However, if you do include the information it must match.
For a full list of title, author, and ISBN requirements, see our Metadata Guidelines.
Spine text. Your book’s manuscript must have 100 pages to include spine text. Spine text and logos must have at least a 0.0625" (1.6 mm) margin of space on either side. This prevents the text from wrapping onto the cover.
Cover lacks bleed. Add an extra 0.125" (3.2 mm) of background along the top, bottom, and sides of your cover. If this makes you question your entire cover size, see the next tip.
Keep it simple. If you lack tools or experience to format your cover to meet submission specifications, we recommend using Cover Creator. The tool is in the Paperback Content section of your book’s setup. Would you rather create your own cover? If so, see our Help page and use our File Setup Calculator.
|Page Count||Inside (Gutter) Margins||Outside Margins (no bleed)||Outside Margins (with bleed)|
|24 to 150 pages||0.375” (9.6 mm)||at least 0.25” (6.4 mm)||at least 0.375” (9.4 mm)|
|151 to 300 pages||0.5” (12.7 mm)||at least 0.25” (6.4 mm)||at least 0.375” (9.4 mm)|
|301 to 500 pages||0.625” (15.9 mm)||at least 0.25” (6.4 mm)||at least 0.375” (9.4 mm)|
|501 to 700 pages||0.75” (19.1 mm)||at least 0.25” (6.4 mm)||at least 0.375” (9.4 mm)|
|701 to 828 pages||0.875” (22.3 mm)||at least 0.25” (6.4 mm)||at least 0.375” (9.4 mm)|
You can review your book’s margins in the Online Previewer. If your manuscript doesn’t meet the minimum margin requirements, we’ll try to fix it before publishing.
To learn how to set your margins, see our Help page.
To fix bleed formatting issues, check the following:
- Set the size of your file to the correct bleed size. All PDF pages should be the exact bleed size.
- All images or graphics meant to bleed should extend all the way to the bleed edge.
- Images or graphics not meant to bleed should fit within the minimum margin requirements.
- All text should fit within the minimum margin requirements.
Do you want your images to bleed to the edges of your pages? If so, extend them 0.125” (3 mm) beyond the final trim size from the top, bottom, and outer edges for your manuscript. Format your PDF manuscript at 0.25” (6 mm) higher and 0.125” (3 mm) wider than your selected trim size to print the full bleed area.
Unembedded fonts may cause errors during printing, changes in appearance, or failure to print. We'll reject books in which we can't embed fonts. To learn how to embed fonts, see our Help page.
Want to use more than the allowed number of blank pages? If so, the pages must contain some type of content to indicate that the page is supposed to be blank. For example, use lines running across the page to signify a place for writing, drawing, or notes. We also accept headers or footers indicating “Notes,” “Intentionally Left Blank” or a row of asterisks.
To learn how to add pages numbers, see our Help page.