Account & Taxes
- Create a KDP Account
- Manage Your KDP Account
- Sign in to Your KDP Account
- CreateSpace Account
- Tax Information
- Format Your Paperback
Format Your eBook
- eBook Manuscript Formatting Guide
- eBook File Formatting Tips
- Supported eBook Formats
- eBook Conversion Formats
- Create a Table of Contents
- Format Images in Your eBook
- Character Encoding
- Create Links to Footnotes
- Reduce Your eBook Manuscript File Size
- Create an eBook Cover
Tools and Resources
- KDP Tools and Resources
- Kindle Create Help Overview
- Kindle Previewer
- Kindle Comic Creator
- Kindle Kids' Book Creator
- Quality Notifications Dashboard
- Guide to Kindle Content Quality
- Enhanced Typesetting
- X-Ray for Authors
- What is KDP?
Create a Book
- Book Detail Resources
- Upload Book Resources
- Pricing Resources
- Kindle Vella
- Create a Series
- Orders & Book Copies
- Amazon Store & Detail Page
Marketing & Promotion
- KDP Select
- Author Central
- Advertising for KDP books
- Merchandising Tips
- Nominate Your eBook for a Promotion (Beta)
- Book Updates
- Payments & Reports
Legal & Content Guidelines
- Kindle Direct Publishing Terms and Conditions
- Program Policies
Kindle Publishing Guidelines
- Getting Started
- General Best Practices
Guidelines for Specific Types of eBooks
- Creating Reflowable Books
- Creating Fixed-Layout Books with Text Pop-Ups
- Creating Fixed-Layout Books with Image Pop-Ups or Virtual Panels
- Creating Fixed-Layout Books Without Pop-Ups
- Creating Kindle Editions with Audio/Video Content
- Creating Dictionaries
- Milestone 1 - Getting Started
- Milestone 2 - Book Details
- Milestone 3 - Manuscript & Cover
- Milestone 4 - Rights & Pricing
- KDP University
- Kindle Publishing Guidelines
Have feedback? Can't find your answer in our Help pages?Contact Us
Topic 7 - Format Your eBook Manuscript
WHAT THIS TOPIC COVERSAfter reading this topic, you'll be able to use the Kindle Create tool to:
- Format your front matter (e.g., title page, copyright page, dedication)
- Create an active table of contents
- Format your chapter titles and first paragraphs
- Apply a theme to your book that styles the layout and font
- Preview your book before publishing it
YOUR PROGRESSYou've completed Milestones 1 and 2. Now you're working on Milestone 3, which covers book formatting. Later, you'll set rights and pricing (Milestone 4).
HOW TO FORMAT YOUR EBOOK MANUSCRIPTThis topic is for authors with a finished manuscript who want to publish their book as an eBook. If you want to publish your book as a paperback, go to Topic 8.
If you have specific formatting needs, check out these resources for formatting your manuscript yourself.
Video: How to use Kindle Create
Open Kindle Create and start your projectAfter downloading, installing, and opening Kindle Create, you'll start a new project by choosing your Word file. The tool will automatically find and format your chapter titles, which will create a table of contents for your eBook.
Apply formatting elementsKindle Create allows you to apply elements to your book. Think of elements as formatting shortcuts. For example, there's a "Book Title" element that you can click to style your title instantly. You'll save time by applying elements to format your front matter (title page, copyright page, and dedication) and book body (chapter titles and first paragraphs).
Apply a themeGive your book the right look and feel by applying a theme that automatically updates the layout and font. Choose between Classic, Modern, Amour, and Cosmos. We introduced these themes in the activity in Topic 6.
Preview your eBookKindle Create allows you to preview your eBook at any time so you can see what it will look like on tablets, phones, and e-readers.
Does your eBook have incorrectly bolded text, irregular page breaks, or inconsistent font sizes? Is your source file a PDF? If so, watch the video linked below to learn how to avoid conversion issues.
TIP: Make sure the information in your manuscript (e.g., book title, author name) exactly matches the book details you entered.
Save your fileWhen you're satisfied with your book, you'll save it as a .kcb and then a .kpf file. You'll upload the .kpf file to KDP later.
TIP: After you upload your book, it will go through our content and quality review. If it doesn't pass our review, you'll need to edit your files and resubmit them.
|Use Kindle Create and your eBook will have the latest Kindle reading features like enhanced typesetting, which supports faster reading with less eye strain; beautiful page layouts, even at larger font sizes; and page flip, a new way to explore books without losing your place. Readers have come to expect this, and now you can format your eBook so it has these features too!|
WHAT TO DO NEXT
- Download or print the KDP Jumpstart companion guide. It provides detailed, step-by-step instructions on using Kindle Create to format your manuscript.
- Download (PC or Mac) and install the tool.
- Open Kindle Create and follow the instructions in the companion guide.
- Save your file in .kpf format. You'll upload this to KDP later.
- Go to Topic 9 to learn how to design your cover.